Thursday, March 31, 2016

"a faithful servant like him is an acquisition to any family"

Finals are pretty much done. I'm in the last week of my second to last term. And I'm reading for fun again!



And there is something that has been on my mind all through the time I was trying to write papers on governmental and non-profit accounting. And that is how Parsons shows the servants, who are all incredibly devoted to their ladies because the ladies they serve are "the best and most courageous lady I ever saw in my life" and such a "sweet creature."



(Okay. I've been analyzing things too much lately and am in an academic frame of mind. I'll get over it by tomorrow.)

Parsons manages to show both the servants' thoughts and the thoughts of the ladies about the servants. The ladies, Mathilda and our mystery woman, congratulate each other on having loyal servants and make the statement in the title.  The servants are an acquisition. That sense of entitlement and practically ownership. Such as when "Matilda expressed her satisfaction that the lady had such a faithful servant." Which is just as nice as a faithful dog, but better because a faithful servant brings you tea and hides your very existence from your horrible husband.



But at the same time, Parsons gives us these moments where she shows the reader what the servant is thinking. Their reasoning. And even at one point, their grief. Even though we never see the old servant from the castle again, Parsons still spends a bit of time showing him grieving the death of his wife (the Count burned the castle with her inside) and what happens after than, letting the reader know that he ends up okay. (Which is good. I rather liked him.)



But my favorite moment of these is a funny one. It's back when Matilda is being brave and sleeping upstairs in spite of the ghosts. Albert decides he's not brave enough for that and decides to sleep below stairs, figuring he'll be safe there. Because "as they were ghosts of quality, who never condescended to visit kitchens, he thought himself perfectly safe, on the ground floor."




And now, I'm not quite done with these classes, even if it is a light week, so it's about time I finish up that homework.


No comments:

Post a Comment