Sunday, June 29, 2014

Death Comes to Pemberly and I will be disappointed in Lydia Wickham

Okay.  Not exactly gothic novel that is hundreds of years old, but I have come to the conclusion, given that I am reading other things at the moment, that I define horrid novels, so I'm expanding.  I know.  Big revelation, right?  My blog.  Therefore write what I want.  So now that I have removed my own self imposed restrictions, I'm reading one of my favorite authors, P.D. James.  And it's a sequel to Pride and Prejudice!  It doesn't get more awesome than that.


There is the return of one of my favorite characters in literature.  Of course I mean Lydia!  Who is great fun and a bit self-destructive and foolish in the original novel, but independent and strong.

So it is 6 years later and everything is happy and then Lydia rides to Pemberley in hysterics because Wickham is dead.  That is all I know.

What I suspect is that no matter how wonderful P.D. James is, I will still be disappointed in Lydia, largely because I have my own hopes for her.  I see her and Wickham not working out and her running and diving gleefully into the demi-monde a la Harriet Wilson--Greatest courtesan of her age.

 Lydia would be great at it.  Harriet had freedom, independence, and her own money.  She was involved with Dukes and Princes and routinely told them where to stick it if they annoyed her.

Harriet wasn't acknowledged by the virtuous women of the age, but she still was a trendsetter and set the styles they wore. She was in the newspapers and gossip columns as if she were royalty, and her every move (and her clothes) was watched like we watch celebrities today.

If I were to write a sequel to Pride and Prejudice it would involve the demi-monde where Lydia rules and is involved in scandals. I'd give her a happy ending, like when Elizabeth Armitage married Charles Fox.  It would be gloriously wicked and fun. Sticky, stuffy Darcy and Elizabeth could go be boring somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment