Thursday, May 15, 2014

"that is because you are a gentleman. Well, it has its disadvantages"

I like Gryce. He's devious and practical. I don't like the narrator, Mr. Raymond. He needs to be hit over the head many times.




 He refuses to do "ungentlemanly" things that will actually solve the case, like looking at addresses on personal letters or listening to private conversations. Gentleman seems to be synonymous with Willfully Stupid.

Like this conversation (partly paraphrased and edited for space)
Gryce--The murderer may be one of the women.
Raymond-- I cannot listen to it; it is too horrible.
Gryce-- Women murder people too. Read the criminal records.
Raymond--I do not care for the criminal records. All the criminal records in the world would not make me believe.


I'm waiting for later in the book where he says global warming has nothing to do with the carbon dioxide we are dumping into the atmosphere and that the world was created by intelligent design. Because reality is ungentlemanly.


No comments:

Post a Comment