Thursday, May 29, 2014

Next Read! Castle of Wolfenbach by Eliza Parsons

For one thing, I think it is about time that I actually look into the history of gothic and detective literature.  I'm still all for just reading for pure enjoyment, but I'm getting curious about the history and significance of these novels.

So my next read is The Castle of Wolfenbach by Eliza Parsons and is one of the Northanger Novels.  It was written before The Mysteries of the Udolpho and is more in line with what classic gothic literature is than what Radcliffe wrote.

All I'm hoping for is less poetry.

So you have your proper innocent young thing, running from her incestuous uncle.

Along with masses of bad writing and a story that moves like a racehorse--at least by all accounts, and the typical gothic heroine who faints and cries all the time.  Radcliffe was different in making her heroines more proactive and reasonable and making all seemingly supernatural stuff actually explainable.  This is going to be gothic horror as it normally was and my first foray into the Dan Brown of the age.  I can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment