Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A Perfectly Horrid Beginning

I am not Catherine, though I think she and I would be great friends if we were to meet. Alas! She is in England, I am in the United States. She is from the 19th Century and I from the 21st. She is fictional, and I, unless we want to go weird and meta, am real. But if it weren't for all those difficulties, Catherine and I should have been great friends because we are both prone to overactive imaginations and flights of fancy. And we both love books.

The beginning of my tale, the tale of this blog, is a that I have a dreadful illness that has prostrated me and left me chilled and near death


....okay, so I have a bad cold.

Anyway, I have a bad cold and a new kindle. But being a broke student at the moment I can't spend a lot of money on books, either paper or electronic. But the Kindle made me realize, I DIDN'T HAVE TO. There are lots of books on there. Books I've wanted to read since forever. Books that I've had difficulty finding in libraries and book stores. And they were there, so many of them, and they were FREE. I about went into a faint.

But since I'm modern and there are no longer fainting couches and I've never even seen smelling salts, I kept my feet and downloaded books. A LOT of books. One was a pack called The Complete Northanger Horrid Novel Collection. It wasn't free, but it had all the books listed from Northanger Abbey and was only 99 cents. I downloaded that and about fifty other things and have been in a binge of reading gluttony ever since.










Under the influence of antihistamines--which always make me sleepy and dizzy--I laid in bed and read. I clicked about my Kindle for the next story to read and decided on Wilkie Collins's The Woman In White. Swoon! From the time Anne Catherick puts her white hand on Walter's shoulder I was hooked.

When I couldn't be stuck to the book, I talked about the book. Evil Count Fosco and poor Anne Catherick. I was so nervous at times it was all I could do not to look up the book on Wikipedia and find out what happens next. (I didn't.) And I talked about the book. But no one else had read it. No one else had heard of it. No one I knew was into these sensational and horrid novels. It made me wish I did know Catherine Morland.

But the internet is far and wide and there are many people here. Some of you must be as imaginative and foolish as Miss Morland and me. Some of you want to be shocked to your toes by old books, dark nights, and evil counts. And so begins this blog. I am not reviewing these books. I am not critiquing or scoring or being intelligent in any way. I am enjoying them. Some are gothics. Some are sensational or mysteries or just unclassifiable. Some are well known and others are not. In all honesty, I'm not sure what I'll be reading or what I'll find. Just going where the stories take me, preferably down darkened roads, wearing a white night dress on a stormy, dark night, running from a terrible specter or evil count.


No comments:

Post a Comment