Friday, April 18, 2014

The Hero Is Shot! ......and the Heroine Faints

Believe me when I tell you, Dear Reader, I spoil nothing when I tell you this, though it is more funny than horrid.  Valencourt is shot (I won't tell you the whys and what-fors of that occurrence) and M. St. Aubert is frantically trying to stop the bleeding. There is no one else about so he calls to Emily for assistance only to find that she has "sunk on the seat in a fainting fit." How useful of her!

St. Aubert, now even more frantic, leaves poor Valencourt to help his helpless, dainty daughter. Then "the subject of his alarm changed again" as Valencourt, still bleeding, has run up to help Emily and thereby made himself worse! So St. Aubert is running between the injured man and the unconscious woman so that "he scarcely knew what he did."


Fainting Fit Count: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment