Monday, April 21, 2014

"I would not pass one night in the chateau, for the value of the whole domain."

So says La Voisin, the peasant who has taken in a dying and weary St. Aubert. By chance it turns out La Voisin and St. Aubert share an acquaintance. A marchioness who lived in the chateau, was a "most beautiful and excellent lady," and "deserved a better fate." And there is mysterious music that has played after midnight for the past 18 years... is it related to the mysterious player Emily heard back at her own home?Yes, I am getting hooked.

I would also say that, as a firm lover of nature myself, and as someone who has traveled far in order to see wonderfully sublime prospects, I have yet to have the raptures over those prospects that seem to befall St. Aubert, Emily, and Valencourt at every other turning of the road. Maybe it is because I have yet to see the Pyrenees.

No comments:

Post a Comment