Friday, April 11, 2014

Next book on my list

Well, Dear Reader, did you guess?

Of course you did! (Though, because after a few days of blogging I surmise I have no dear readers who have been waiting and guessing the answer, I feel sure that you have come later, are reading this post prior to the earlier post, and are guessing at the question rather than the answer. Well, guess away and we'll call this my version of Gothic Jeopardy.) Where else to begin but where Catherine herself began! The Mysteries of Udolpho by Mrs. Ann Radcliffe!



I wish to start straight away, but, alas! I have no time to do so and therefore am beginning on the 15th of April when tax season ends. And though our hero and Catherine's love, Henry Tilney, declared that he read the work from end to end in a matter of 2 days, I believe, Dear Reader, I do not have the leisure of a gentleman. So as much as I might be engrossed and wish to think of nothing but Udolpho until I have have read every last word, I must go a bit slower than Mr. Tilney. Though if it really is so exciting...


I shall be reporting my progress and every shudder and shock as I read right here, and gossip about the characters. I shall, however, attempt to discuss no true spoilers, and only give such hints as to parts to titillate you, but not destroy your own nerve wracking pace in the book if you decide to read it sometime.



If you have no copy of your own already in your library, then I have a few suggestions as where to find it.

First off, it is available for free on Kindle if you look here.

It is also available for $0.99 as part of the Complete Horrid Novel Collection, also for Kindle, available here. I think this of good value, since it has all 9 of the novels I intend to be reading for much of the next year, and therefore gives you all the works at your immediate disposal.

If instead of a Kindle you have a Nook, do not despair. Though I cannot find the free edition, nor the Complete Horrid Novel Collection, there is a copy of Mysteries of the Udolpho available for $0.99 (still a paltry sum) available here.

If you have neither of such devises, you may still read it on your computer by accessing either pdf or html files at Project Gutenberg, YorkU.ca, and Classicly.com. All of these resources are free.

If you wish to find hard copy, I always recommend the local library or you may attempt to find it at the bookstore or website of your choosing.

Oh my god! I am so excited to begin! Until anon, Dear Reader, all of my most sincere love!

No comments:

Post a Comment